Sunday, January 13, 2013

Desperate : Hope for the Mom who needs to breathe by Sarah Mae & Sally Clarkson

Desperate is a non-fiction breath of fresh air for the Christian mother. These two women each have different perspectives - one is a seasoned mother with her last just entering college, and the other is a younger mother up to her ears in childrearing. Maybe I gobbled this book up because the title spoke to me. Having two teenagers and two toddlers, I can relate to this book. (Or, I suppose I should say this book relates to me!). The authors take turns writing on each topic presented, and each author has a great statement to make that is real, and relatable. Some of the chapters include, "Formulas don't always work," (in regards to parenting a specific way)and my personal favorite, "Sacrifice in the Mundane," (on selfishness). The authors don't sugarcoat anything in this book. They don't lie to you and tell you motherhood is a waking up and crafting and cooking and holding hands with your children (every day). This book shows the reader that mothers are all tempted by our flesh, and by the world to compromise and give up, but that we must "stay fast until victory is achieved." I loved that they authors spoke many times about overcoming - overcoming weariness, selfishness, perfectionism. This book speaks to a mother's heart about conforming to Christ, and coming into alignment with godly child-rearing. I loved Sally's final encouragement to "live a story that your children and grandchildren will be speaking of for generations to come." This is a very encouraging, and real book on mothering. I am SO thankful to have the opportunity to read it. You should too! I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 :"Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media Shares