Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mystery in Dark Island by T.A. Smith

Being a female (and an adult) I was a little apprehensive about reading and reviewing a novel geared toward boys. But, to my great surprise, I was overall pleased with this book and had no problem reading it, and getting into the story. This series is touted as (Christian) action-adventure, which in my personal opinion is a genre very much needed for boys. There are truly not alot of action-adventure books for boys that are (in my opinion) interesting, well-written, and clean (morally). This book accomplishes all of these things, and leaves the reader hungry for the next novel. From a Christian perspective, this book inserts spiritual thoughts and questions that Nic (the main character) deals with, without becoming overwhelming, tedious, or preachy. The plot is interesting, with Nic becoming stranded on an island that seems stuck in the past, with some interesting characters and a suspenseful story line. The main character is relatable (although from an adult's perspective I wanted a fully developed character and way more background information than was presented - but there is just enough information for a child) and I personally (as a parent) loved that moral, and character issues were addressed just enough as to not overwhelm the reader with an underlying message. You should for sure buy this book for your child/pre-teen, as it will surely get him excited about reading. I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 :
"GuidesConcerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media Shares