Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Blessing By John Trent and Gary Smalley

The Blessing, Giving the Gift of Unconditional Love and Acceptance is a great book for anyone in any kind of relationship, but especially beneficial in the parent/child relationship. The premise of the book surrounds itself around the biblical Jacob and Esau story, with only one brother receiving a blessing from his father, and how important a parent's blessing is in a child's life. The authors do an amazing job with bringing in real life stories of people who didn't experience a "blessing" from one or both of their parents, and the tremendous negative effects this had on their lives. The authors teach that there are five elements in blessing others: 1. Meaningful Touch 2. A Spoken (or written) Message 3. Attaching High Value 4. Picturing a Special Future 5. An Active Commitment. These things must all be done to create a thriving environment for a child - with lasting lifelong results. The authors also touch on families that miss out on these opportunites and what can be done in those instances, along with practical steps to implement a blessing in a relationship. I have read the five love languages and thought this might be similiar, but it was different and a very eye opening read. I am definately going to implement their thoughts and suggestions in my relationships, with great expectations of a positive outcome. I think this book should be read by all. I received this e-book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media Shares