Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Jesus, My Father, The CIA and Me by Ian Morgan Cron

I initially thought this book would be very suspenseful, dramatic, and full of twists because of the title. But, after finishing the first chapter, I realized this book was not about the CIA, but about a man reflecting back upon his childhood trying to make sense of a broken, dysfunctional family living with an alcoholic father (who happened to work on and off for the CIA). The author (Ian) goes back to his youth and immerses the reader in the trauma of a child desperately trying to seek approval, affection, and acceptance from his alcoholic father - which he never gets. Ian recounts many boyhood instances of struggle and survival, all the while struggling with his relationship with God and not understanding God's character. The author spirals into the pit of depression, anxiety, drugs, and alcoholism himself, until coming to terms with his father's issues, and resolving his relationship with God. I felt extreme empathy for this individual, and felt somewhat more understanding toward the alcoholism family dynamic. Although this book was not what I thought it was going to be, it ended up being an interesting read. I received this e-book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media Shares