Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Money Secrets of the Amish by Lorilee Craker

Lately I have become interested in the Amish people therefore was very interested in reading this e-book. The author spent time interviewing families in an Amish community to try to learn why the Amish prosper, even during a down economy. Throughout the book the author compares her lack of budgeting, not enough savings, and high consumerism ethic to that of the Amish - who recycle, use an item to the hilt, and make do or do without. The author touches on topics including waiting for something you want, paying on time, making your own gifts, saving (10-20% of your monthly income), recycling, living debt free, and making your food from scratch (along with buying in bulk and organic at local farms or farmers markets). I thought is was really neat that within the e-book I was able to click on the web resources and was taken directly to the websites mentioned. I also really enjoyed how candid the author was in her admissions of her (lack of) budgeting skills and her enthusiasm for change toward the Amish model (to a point). I especially liked how reflective she was in how her children were being trained to always want more and in excess, instead of being content with what they had. I was personally encouraged by all of the suggestions because our family already does most if not all of the tidbits, or "secrets" she learned from the Amish people - although I don't think they are necessarily secrets, just common sense practical ways to thrive with the money you have earned and want to save. I would recommend this book to anyone who needs to change their way of thinking less toward consumerism. After all, because of the U.S. Recession, saving money and being frugal and resourceful is cool - FINALLY!

I received this e-book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media Shares